This program is an overview of law practitioner essentials. It is designed as a transitional program for new attorneys but is an excellent refresher for all attorneys. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in lively discussions of ethical hypotheticals to illustrate the relevant and practical application of the Rules of Professional Conduct. Topics include:
• The Client/Attorney Relationship: communication, expectations, confidentiality, conflict of interest, letter of engagement, court appearances
• Practice Management & Technology: managing staff, the role of technology, file and time management, billing practices, correspondence, escrow and retainer funds
• Fiduciary Requirements: managing client accounts, avoiding financial troubles, safekeeping property, IOLTA and operating accounts, disputed funds
• Diversity & Inclusion: importance in the profession, unconscious bias, future expectations, anti-discrimination
• Substance Abuse Prevention: Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers, self-care tips
• The Pennsylvania Supreme Court Disciplinary System: overview, violations, consequences, inactive status & suspensions, ethics guidance
• Outreach Programs & Resources: State, county and affinity bar associations, legal aid network, pro bono service, continuing legal education
Though the program follows the curriculum and utilizes an instructional video set forth by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court for the PA Bridge the Gap requirement, it also covers New Jersey practice and divergences between New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York rules.
See DETAILED CLE credit information in announcement.
NOTE: Attorneys will receive full PA Bridge the Gap credit even though program is presented via Zoom.