Public Welfare and the Law
Friday, March 24, 2023 | 11:45 AM EDT - 4:45 PM EDT
This will be the second annual symposium, dedicated each year to examining a new topic through a progressive lens. The subject for 2023 is public welfare. We are planning a thematically broad event, covering issues of Indigenous welfare, social security reform, and labor unions.
• Brief overview and history of ICWA and brief overview of Haaland v. Brackeen.
• Impact that declaring ICWA unconstitutional will have on Indigenous communities.
• Brief overview of Social Security generally and the Social Security Administration.
• Current flaws in the social security system(s).
• Discussion of social security reform proposals.
• History of the labor union movement in the United States.
• The resurgence of the labor union movement and its impact on the workforce.
Co-sponsored by Rutgers Institute for Professional Education and the American Constitution Society and its Philadelphia-area chapters at Rutgers-Camden, Drexel, Penn, Temple, and Villanova.
See page 2 for the agenda and speakers; see page 3 for CLE details.
Central New Jersey
Southern New Jersey
Philadelphia Metro Area
Rutgers Law School | 326 Penn Street | Camden, NJ 08102
CLE: NJ: 4.8 | NY: 4.5 | PA: 4.0